Inspiring Moms: Erika Eckerson


Introducing our spotlight series - Inspiring Moms! Motherhood is so challenging yet so rewarding. I wanted to start this series because these women are so inspiring to me, as a new mom of two and a small business owner, I have struggled with how to balance it all. The moms that you will see throughout this series are so passionate about their family, growing their business and helping other women in all of those aspects. 


Our feature this week is Erika Eckerson! Erika owns Erika Eckerson Original Art and is a mom to 8 month old Roman. Erika commissions her work but you can find it locally in Charlotte at Slate Interiors and on her website www.erikaeckersonart.com 



What has been your greatest challenge of motherhood so far?

It's been tough to find a balance between being a stay-at-home and a work-from-home creative business owner. If I'm given a choice between playing with Roman or working on a painting, I always choose him. It's the whole "mom guilt" thing. It's taken until recently for me to realize that in order to take my business to the next level, I need to bring in help. And that's okay. No one can do it all, all the time. 

What has been your favorite part of being a mom?

It's not all about me anymore, and believe it or not that's a refreshing feeling. He brings me joy like nothing else I've ever experienced, and it feels good to love someone that much. 

What surprised you most about motherhood?

I don't think I realized how all-consuming it is. No one tells you how you'll be counting bowel movements and googling weird skin rashes at all hours of the day and night

What is your daily uniform?

When I can bring myself to change out of gym clothes, I'm a jeans and tee kind of girl. I like to punch it up a little with a cool belt or jacket for running errands or lunch with a friend. 

What helps you juggle motherhood and your career?

What's helped me the most is taking the time to sit down and schedule out my week. On the days I don't schedule anything, I end up in my spit-up covered pajamas at 3 p.m. wondering where the day went. When you don't have a boss telling you what to do and where to be, you have to learn how to be your own boss. I'm still working on that. :-) 




Comments

Popular Posts